Douglas DC-3 ‘Spirit of the Skeena’
The DC-3 was a follow on from the DC-2 and flew for the first time in December 1935. It was built in larger numbers than any other transport. A total of 803 DC-3s were built from 1936 to 1940, followed by over 10,000 for military use as the C-47.
This DC-3 was manufactured on February 24th, 1940 for American Airlines as "Flagship Texas". Since that date she also served in the USAF, under the colours of Trans Alaska Airlines, Queen Charlotte Airlines, Pacific Western Airlines, Great Northern Airways and Trans Provincial Airlines.
In 1972 her flying career ended when Trans Provincial utilized her as a spare parts ship for other DC-3's in their fleet. After removal of all serviceable parts, CF-PWH was pushed into the bush adjacent to the Terrace, B.C. airport and abandoned. Thankfully, a founding member of the "Friends of the DC-3 - Canada" recognized her long contribution to the people of British Columbia and through last minute negotiations with the scrap man, was able to purchase her remains for future restoration. In 1987, CF-PWH was moved from Terrace to the then Transportation Museum in Cloverdale. Upon the closure of this facility, the Township of Langley invited the Friends of the DC-3, North America to relocate at the Langley Municipal Airport.
This Douglas DC-3 in fact, was the first DC-3 to be owned and operated by a "home grown" B.C. airline, -- Queen Charlotte Airlines. She became Pacific Western Airlines first DC-3 and as such was assigned the fleet number of 301. Today, CF-PWH is the oldest surviving DC-3 in Canada.