Lockheed CF-104D Mk. 2 Starfighter
Referred to as the "Missile with a man in it", the CF-104 (single seat version) was built in Canada under license by Canadair in Cartierville, Quebec. It was envisioned as a high speed, high altitude point defense interceptor against the relatively poor maneuvering manned bomber threat that existed in the early 1950's.
The first aircraft produced by Canadair flew in May 1961, with 200 single seaters (CF-104) being produced for the RCAF. 22 Lockheed-built two seaters (CF-104D) were also used by the RCAF. After the RCAF production order was filled in June 1963, Canadair produced another 140 aircraft for other countries.
The aircraft in later years provided a measure of unparalleled stability in the low-level, high speed environment until phased out in 1986. The majority of the Starfighters were transferred to the Turkish Air Force.
The Museum’s aircraft was one of a number of Lockheed-built two place trainers, spending its flying career at Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake, Alberta, before becoming a battle-damage repair airframe at Mountain View, Ontario, near CFB Trenton.
A simulated afterburner takeoff from Langley's runway.
Photos of 104645 while still in service, including from the back seat (in-flight)